On-site Power to Get Turbines Online
Wind farm developers move quickly to get turbines online, not only to meet project deadlines, but also to ensure the turbines qualify for maximum tax credits and accelerated depreciation. Because the Production Tax Credits are scheduled to decline over time, missing a deadline for having turbines online can cost operators millions of dollars annually.
While not a widely known fact, wind turbines need power to start and, at times, for continued operation. Power must be available for the starter motors used to overcome inertia in lower winds. In addition, while wind turbines are designed to provide their own power for ongoing service, supplemental power must be available to ensure continuous operation of yaw mechanisms, oil heaters and pumps, gear box coolers, hydraulic motors, electronics and other equipment.
So, when turbine installation and commissioning timelines precede the availability of grid power, Aggreko power generation solutions are relied upon to bring systems online. Aggreko doesn’t just rent the equipment. We make sure you have a complete system that will get the job done and you maximize tax incentives and avoid liquidated damages.
- Our engineers and technicians have designed systems and processes specific to the needs of wind farms.
- When necessary, Aggreko can respond quickly to short deadlines, utilizing its vast fleet of industrial-grade power generation solutions.
- Aggreko on-site installation technicians ensure a smooth and timely startup.
It’s a proven system, from a proven company, that wind farm developers can trust.
While providing commissioning power is the most prevalent application for Aggreko power solutions, we provide expertise and equipment for every phase of the wind farm life cycle:
- Construction — Rental power for construction trailers, testing and long-term nacelle storage
- Pre-commissioning — Rental power to ensure integrity of controls and electronics
- Commissioning — Generators and load banks for commissioning prior to connection to the grid
- Post-commissioning — Low-voltage power for ancillary equipment, including heaters, lighting, hydraulic pumps; high-voltage packages to power the entire system, i.e., turbines, transformers and switchgear when grid power is not available
- Operation and maintenance — Power, heating and cooling during planned utility outages or tower maintenance
The following represents the typical system Aggreko deploys for wind turbine commissioning:
- Load banks
- Electrical Distribution