Power Generation From Landfill Gas And Biogas
Alternative sources of renewable energy at low cost
At Aggreko, we offer highly efficient turnkey solutions and our low-emission gas-fired generators make the most of resources.
We mobilize, install, and operate our energy solutions in a matter of weeks, according to your specific requirements, with which, in addition to environmental benefits, we provide savings to clients.
Biogas and landfill gas are gases made up of the same mixture of components, but in different amounts and from different sources.
Biogas is the main product resulting from the transformation process of organic foods, carried out in large facilities called anaerobic digesters. Its composition contains less pollutants than landfill gas: 50-70% methane.
On the other hand, Landfill gas is a byproduct of the decomposition of organic matter that occurs in a sanitary landfill (garbage dump). Its composition has between 40-60% methane.
CONTROLLED FERMENTATION OF BIOMASS:
- Wastewater treatment plant (waste gas)
- Agricultural waste
- Harvests for energy generation
- Industrial waste (food industry)
BIODEGRADABLE WASTE CONVERTED BY MICROORGANISMS INTO GAS:
- A long-term uncontrollable process
- Uncontrollable biomass
Learn about the biogas generation process
1. Gas Gathering
Gas gathering is done through vertical wells and/or horizontal drains. These wells are connected by a common pipeline system that collects the gas and transports it to a nearby compression facility.
2. Biogas Treatment
In the compression plant, landfill gas is filtered, dehydrated, and pressurized.
3. Power Generation
The gas is piped to an electric generation plant, where it is used as fuel to generate energy.
Aggreko flexibility for power generation with biogas and landfill gas
With our business model, we offer customers the necessary flexibility to use their biogas or landfill gas in the best possible way, always adapting to their needs:
- It can be used as distributed generation: the energy produced can be shared with consumers that are connected to the main electrical distribution systems.
- It can be marketed directly with the end user through freely negotiated bilateral contracts.
- The production can be used for self-consumption. The customer can reduce their energy costs by being self-sufficient and eliminating exposure to changes in electricity prices
Efficient and modular solutions
Our high-speed gas-fired generators deliver 42-43% electrical efficiency, with no loss at ambient temperatures below 35°C. They are uniquely designed and manufactured to produce fewer emissions and have exceptional performance and reliability.
We can create custom modular solutions, which allow you to avoid CAPEX expenses and we have the capacity for rapid implementation and installation.
Additional benefits and advantages over other renewable energy sources
Biogas and landfill gas offer some additional benefits and advantages when compared to other renewable energy sources such as solar and wind:
- Biogas is generated continuously, unlike solar or wind energy that depend on certain atmospheric conditions
- The raw material to produce it is very low cost
- It is a stable source that can act as a regulating mechanism for the fluctuations of wind and photovoltaic sources.
- Some legislation in Latin America provides customers with tax credits for reducing carbon use
Benefits of our solutions
- Customized modular solution
- No CAPEX expenses
- 1500 kW of power per generator
- No losses at ambient temperatures below 35º C
- Quick deployment and installation